The Brazilian Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM) is offering 3 research slots for undergraduate introduction to research, master’s/doctoral, and postdoctoral candidates. Applicants must have or be in the process of obtaining their degrees in the areas of biology or related fields. The research will be carried out within the Tissue Engineering group at CNPEM’s Brazilian Biosciences National Laboratory (LNBio).
Specific requirements for this opportunity and each scholarship category include:
Undergraduate Introduction to Research:
- Pursing undergraduate degree in biology, biomedicine, pharmacy, or related areas
- Ideal candidate will have knowledge in the areas of cell cultivation and/or histology or experience in a research lab
- Must meet all FAPESP’s scholarship requirements: click here for more information.
The undergraduate scholarship recipient will participate in routine laboratory work to characterize three-dimensional cultures (organoids and spheroids).
- Completed undergraduate degree in biology, biomedicine, pharmacy, biotechnology, or related areas
- Knowledge of cell culture, good laboratory practices, statistical treatment of data, technical/scientific reading and writing, intermediate English preferred
- Ideal candidate will have knowledge of microscopy and histology techniques, immunoassays, 3D cultures or molecular biology
- Must meet all FAPESP’s scholarship requirements: click the link for master’s and doctoral scholarship candidates.
The master’s/doctoral scholarship recipient will participate in the development of microfluid organ-on-a-chip systems and three-dimensional cell cultures (organoids and spheroids).
- Completed doctorate in biology or related areas
- Knowledge of cell cultivation techniques, good laboratory practices, statistical treatment of data, technical/scientific reading/writing, advanced English
- Cardiovascular experience preferred
- Ideal candidate will have experience in stem cell cultivation and cardiomyogenic differentiation
- Must meet all FAPESP’s scholarship requirements: learn more here.
The postdoctoral scholarship recipient will participate in the development of bioprinted cardiac tissue for applications in regenerative medicine.
About the projects
The scholarship recipients will be part of LNBio’s Tissue Engineering group, whose main objective is to develop engineered microphysiological systems and organs for applications in regenerative medicine and to serve as models for non-clinical studies.
About the scholarships
The recipients will receive R$ 9,047.40 per month for the postdoctoral scholarship, R$ 4,572.90 for the doctoral scholarship, R$ 2,661.60 for the master’s scholarship, or R$ 853.80 for the undergraduate introduction to research scholarship, as defined by FAPESP.
How to apply
Applicants should send the link to their Lattes CV, a letter of recommendation, and a statement of interest to the appropriate address for each category:
Applications will be accepted through August 31, 2023.
Any questions can be directed to the email addresses above.
Sophisticated and effervescent environment for research and development, unique in Brazil and present in few scientific centers in the world, the Brazilian Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM) is a private non-profit organization, under the supervision of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MCTI). The Center operates four National Laboratories and is the birthplace of the most complex project in Brazilian science – Sirius – one of the most advanced synchrotron light sources in the world. CNPEM brings together highly specialized multi-thematic teams, globally competitive laboratory infrastructures open to the scientific community, strategic lines of investigation, innovative projects in partnership with the productive sector and training of researchers and students. The Center is an environment driven by the search for solutions with impact in the areas of Health, Energy and Renewable Materials, Agro-environment, and Quantum Technologies. As of 2022, with the support of the Ministry of Education (MEC), CNPEM expanded its activities with the opening of the Ilum School of Science. The interdisciplinary higher course in Science, Technology and Innovation adopts innovative proposals with the aim of offering excellent, free, full-time training with immersion in the CNPEM research environment. Through the CNPEM 360° Platform, it is possible to explore, in a virtual and immersive way, the main environments and activities of the Center, visit: https://pages.cnpem.br/cnpem360/ .